We see mentoring and coaching broadly as two ends of a spectrum where a mentor contributes their knowledge and experience acting as a sounding board, while a coach facilitates clients to find their own solutions. We tailor our approach to what our client is looking for.
We bring our considerable knowledge and experience of operating with people at board level and below in a wide variety of organisations and cultures, coupled with achieving strategic development and delivering major programmes of change. This is combined with well-grounded and established coaching models and techniques and our own personal coaching and mentoring styles.
We coach and mentor senior people in large corporations and public sector organisations, who are moving up, changing roles or, perhaps, moving on.
The areas we focus on as coaches and mentors are:
- Senior women
- Programme and projects roles
- Change teams
- Strategic IT issues for business executives
How We Work
We are either engaged by the person’s organisation or work for them on a private basis. Some of our engagements are conducted very discreetly.
We work with high achieving individuals who want to excel and achieve stretching goals or, maybe, change direction. For these people, we create a challenging, yet supportive, series of high quality coaching sessions based on mutual respect and focussed on developing organisational and personal performance.
We enable people to identify and take responsibility for their own actions to deliver the targets for which they are accountable. Our role is to create a safe space to enable people to reflect, explore and be challenged. We are sensitive to an individual’s personal style and draw on various competencies and techniques to tailor our approach.
We begin by having a discussion with all stakeholders to get mutual understanding of what the coaching and/or mentoring programme is to achieve and the measures of success, then we match the coaches to the individuals concerned. The relationship between coach and coachee is a personal one and it is very important that this works well. We build in review points and continually measure outcomes. A typical programme comprises 6-8 hour and a half sessions spread over a few months.
Examples Of Our Coaching and Mentoring Engagements
- Executive coaching of an officer of a leading professional accountancy body
- Executive coaching of an executive of an offshore financial services company
- Executive coaching, project management & leadership training for teams of a research and education network provider
- External mentor and coach for a general manager to support their move to a senior role, and subsequently supporting their development in the new role
- Coaching programme teams in their roles
- Mentoring the IT director of a large government department on running their £billion outsourcing programme
- Sounding board for a CEO on IT issues
- Following a major upheaval in the IT function, we coached and mentored the IT managers to grow into their new leadership roles
- Mentoring and coaching the Group HR director of a major multinational in what to look for when recruiting a Group CIO and coaching the interview panel
Our coaches trained with the Academy of Executive Coaching. Our practice and development is monitored by an independent supervisor with an extensive track record as an executive coach and leadership development specialist. We follow the codes of practice and ethical guidelines of the Academy of Executive Coaching and International Coaching Federation.
We use well established models and techniques and each of us uses our own individual coaching models developed through study and training. We also participate in co-coaching circles to hone our skills. Where psychometric tests are required we ensure someone proficient in the instrument provides interpretation.